Not everyone understands what Mental Illness is. We thought we would clarify.
- Are biologically-based brain disorders that interfere with normal brain chemistry. Genetic factors may create a predisposition in some people, and life stresses may trigger the onset of symptoms
- Are very common. More than 30 million Americans are affected by serious mental illness
- Are treatable! Appropriate medical care and rehabilitation enable many people to lead productive lives. These illnesses present difficult challenges, but help is available. Support, education, and a community of friends who understand can help make family life satisfying and meaningful again
- Are more treatable than cancer and heart disease combined
- Are not discriminatory. Brain disorders strike families from all walks of life, regardless of age, race, income, religion, or education
- Are not the fault of anybody. They are not caused by poor parenting or weak character
*more information on individual diagnosis can be found on Nami.org